Long distance relationships suck. But if you are willing to be in one, there are a few things you need to make sure to do!
I am in a four year relationship right now with my high school sweetheart. Two of those four years he was doing the college thing and I was still finishing high school. I have a little experience when it comes to this!
1. COMMUNICATION! – It sounds easy, but it is far from that. Communication is the only thing (besides love hopefully) you have that holds you to a person when you are in a long distance relationship. My boyfriend and I would talk EVERY NIGHT. This was one of the things that would help me miss him a little less when I would get lonely and upset. The other side of communication is making sure you voice your opinion if you are uncomfortable with something. If you think he is spending too much time with a girl friend of his then do not keep it bottled up. These things can fume inside of you and eventually terminate a once very happy loving relationship.
2. DECIDE WHAT IS RIGHT FOR YOU – If you are not feeling the long distance relationship, then don’t force yourself to stay in it because of the other person. You always need to go with your gut feeling. If you truly are in love and want to make it work then know it is possible. Just make sure you think about it early on and decide what YOU want to do. It really isn’t for everybody.
3. TRUST – This is a really hard thing for couples in long distance relationships because you can’t monitor as closely what the significant other is doing. I feel like there is a misconception that people are going to cheat in long distance relationships when actually people cheat in all types of relationships. It all depends on the guy and girl involved. It also depends on how often you see each other and your communication. If you do suspect your man to be cheating then do not hang around to get the burn. Confront him and if he isn’t convincing, then ask yourself if you really should stick around. Make sure though that before starting a long distance thing, that you really look inside you and come to the grips with knowing if you actually do trust this person.
4. KEEP THE SPARK – A huge part of these relationships deals with making sure you “keep the spark” or “rekindle the flame”. Because you will feel lonely and sad, and you will miss the physical contact between you and that person. The best way I found to do this was to facetime, send pictures, send letters, send little gifts, and even drive up some weekend and surprise them. I did all of these in my relationship and it always made me and my boyfriend so much happier. Just getting to see him on the computer webcam was more than just texting all day. Be creative! I wrote “52 reasons why I love you” on a deck of cards and sent him several cards in the mail each time I sent him a letter or package.
5. FILL YOUR LIFE WITH ACTIVITY – If you are sitting around on your computer or TV all day, you are bound to miss them 100 times more. TRUST ME! I filled my time up with school clubs, sports, community service, hanging out with friends, making new friends, and even got a job! Find something else to do other than pick at your thoughts about “why hasn’t he texted me back?”, or “what is he doing right now?”.
Hope These Have Helped A Little!